12c. Castell Cadwgan, earth and timber castle built on the coast
15c. Cywydd (poem) by Lewis Glyn Cothi mentions Aberaeron
1565 Aberaeron mentioned in a survey of the coast
1693 First surviving entry in Court Leet records of Manor of Llyswen (next is 1774)
1748 Chart of the coast by Lewis Morris doesn’t show Aberaeron
1757 Aberaeron Uchaf (Dolau Aeron) built by Lewis Gwynne. Closed c 1815, rebuilt 1852
1769 Earliest known reference by a visitor to an Inn at Aberaeron
1770 Turnpike Trust formed. Presumably a toll gate was erected shortly afterwards
1774 Court Leet (the council of the Manor of Llyswen) records complete to late 19th century
1783 Upper Bridge built 15 yards from the old one
1785 Aberaeron Benefit Society formed
1801 Chart of the coast by William Morris shows Aberaeron
1807 Act of Parliament enabling Rev. Alban Thomas Jones Gwynne to improve the harbour
1807 Harbourmaster Hotel built
1809 First Pier complete
1811 Second Pier complete
1811 Crescent of four houses (Mynachdy Row – Bedlam Barracks) built just north of the Harbour mouth
1813 Storm damaged the new piers
1813 New Lower bridge built (rebuilt 1881-2)
c. 1815 The Feathers hotel built by William Lewes of Llanaeron
c. 1815 Pengarreg House built by John Atwood, son-in-law of Rev. A.T.J. Gwynne (presumably earlier if it was built before the road)
1818 School (Ysgol-Glan y-môr) built on the shore just north of the Harbour mouth
1819 Rev. A.T.J. Gwynne died
1830 Colonel Alban Thomas Jones Gwynne succeeded his mother to the estate
c. 1830 Post Office established in the town
1833 Tabernacl (Calvinistic Methodists) built (enlarged 1869)
1833 Peniel Chapel (Congregationalists) built (remodelled 1857, 1897)
1835 Trinity Chapel built (now Holy Trinity Church); Edward Haycock architect (rebuilt 1872)
1839 Workhouse {now Aberaeron Hospital) built
1840s Northern Pier extended to the north
1844 Town Hall (for magistrates), market and gaol built
1845 Tithe survey and map
1848 National School established
1861 Col Alban Thomas Jones Gwynne died
1863 Aberayron Steam Navigation Company was formed (existed until 1876)
1864 Salem chapel (Wesleyan Methodists) built (Roman Catholic church 1997)
1866 Act enabling Aberaeron to have gas lighting
1872 British School built (behind Portland Place)
1872 National School opened (now Freemasons’ Lodge)
1872 Chalybeate Well discovered
1872 Holy Trinity rebuilt (chancel rebuilt 1897)
1877 The Aberayron Steam Packet Company, formed, (existed until about 1918)
1878 Siloam Chapel (Baptists) built (now carpet warehouse)
1881 Lower Bridge damaged in a flood and rebuilt
1881 Aerial railway crossed the harbour. Closed about 1931; new one erected 1988, closed by 1990
1882 Tennis Club formed
1884 Last ship, the Cadwgan, to be built in the harbour
1888 Aberaeron became the County Town
1892 20th September. Aberaeron Urban and Rural Districts formed
1898 County School opened
1909 Work began on the new railway line to Aberaeron, opened in 1911
1911 New Upper Bridge built to provide access to the new station
1925 Memorial Hall built
1951 Railway closed for passengers
1965 Last goods train left Aberaeron
2007 Bicentenary of 1807 Harbour Act